Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Kenny Everett (25 December 1944 - 4 April 1995)

As is obvious, by the sporadic posts on this blog, my postings are fairly irregular.
However I've had this topic in mind for a while and now seems like no better time to post.
April 4 saw the 20th anniversary of the passing of Kenny Everett.



For those who don't know who he was, click the Wikipedia link, that covers much of it. Suffice to say, Maurice Cole was a Liverpudlian born on Christmas day 1944 who became a Pirate DJ and who basically out of legal necessity became Kenny Everett. Inspired (in equal measures) by the Goons, Joe Meek and the BBC Radiophonic Workshop created some of the funniest, silliest and innovative radio and later television to come out of the UK in the 20th century. He was rather more complex than his outward appearance would lead one to believe, but I won't really go into that here…you can find out about much of his personal life online or in the biographies that have emerged throughout the years. This post is about his work and why I'm an admirer of it.

I have been a fan and admirer of the work of Kenny Everett for a very long time. I would say the first time I was aware of him was in 1979 seeing a few episodes, maybe 3, that had been recorded on a Beta VCR by my older cousin from an ABC TV broadcast upon visiting them during a school holiday. I was probably 8 years old, possibly 7.


A slightly long caveat, because very often I question everything including myself and what I'm a fan of:
I'm aware that a number of my friends based in the UK are kind of dismissive of Everett, particularly those of a more alternative, leftist persuasion, which I basically share. And I suppose objectively I can see why. He was part of what became commercial radio and his TV show on Thames television often featured the pop music of the time. His comedy of that time also could be said to have some somewhat questionable sexist and racist overtones. There was also the unfortunate rally that he was part of for Thatcher's conservative party in 1983.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenny_Everett#Political_involvement

I actually can't and won't argue against any of that and admittedly I may feel less 'forgiving' if I lived in the UK at the time. From these shores, perhaps with rose-tinted glasses (though I'm pretty good at remaining objective), I will say this:

In regards to his involvement in commercial and mainstream culture, it was basically harmless fun, he often took the piss out of much of what he was playing in a good natured way. It was an ephemeral culture and he realised that, still enjoying it, but referring to his beloved classical music and The Beatles (whom he was quite chummy with - even going so far as producing a couple of their Christmas Fan club records) as 'real music'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3lJ5aRGNAg


People often excuse dodgy things in regards of the 'times'. "We didn't know any better". Doesn't make it right though, but certainly many didn't consider some of the more offensive elements in comedy 'back then'. I must say, I feel that most of the more questionable content in Everett's output was more often than not, not presented in a mean spirited way, but with a sense of fun and a loveable wink. Was it right? No. Did he mean genuine harm? No, I don't believe so. Interesting to consider what he would do today.

The Conservative rally is a tough one, as I believe you should speak what you believe and believe what you speak. But others close to him say he was generally apolitical.
When being political in his comedy, he would just as often take the piss out of the right as much as the left. In regards to the rally he later regretted it and only did it because because the Tories "asked me first". Hmmm, that's a shame. Anyway... It's sometimes good to look at the flaws in your heroes.



Generational, an acquired or particular taste? I'm not sure.
There are of course locals and members of my circle who probably don't understand the appeal. There are a number of things I can point to that appeals to me about the man and his craft. He was a technical wizard, particularly with radio, sound effects and multi-tracked voices. This was not 'art', it was wacky silliness and a bit of fun, but it was approached with tremendous finesse and expertise on par with and rivaling much of the more artier crew he was inspired by. Although not so much working with the visuals, his audio style on radio was very much the impetus for what emerged visually on his Thames television shows (The Kenny Everett Video Show and The Kenny Everett Video Cassette) between 1978 and 1981. His comedy is interesting, much of the best stuff co-written with Barry Cryer and Ray Cameron. In many ways it could be seen to be crass and kind of basic. But when it worked best it was often a case of playing with the visual gag inherent on the screen. He was a creature of technology and the material reflected that. As a consequence it wasn't always particularly witty or sophisticated. But, at least to me and others I've spoken to about him, his charm and likability was his main asset. Plus any performer willing to leave in his goofs as part of the show (I'm talking the Thames shows mainly here, but some of it is also heard on the Radio stuff he did too) and in fact become the main part of the "finished" sketch, earns my respect. I love a good corpse or blooper!!!!

For the boffins.
Over the years I've managed to locate a lot of audio documenting his radio shows from the Pirates through to Capital Radio and thanks to another collector and the internet most of the Thames TV series and the first 3 BBC TV series (nowhere near as good, but it has it's moments). But other than a number of compilation tapes available originally as video shop rentals and later editions with removed musical acts (due to a lot of copyright red tape), most of the complete episodes have not been official released. But in terms of official merch - here is what I've collected over the years. There are a few holes in the collection of official items, but I'm getting there.

Collection of video media, VHS tapes mainly and the Kremmen movie on DVD. Not pictured 'Best Of Kenny Everett's Naughty Bits' as it was out on loan!


Vinyl and cassette copies of the 'The Greatest Adventure of Captain Kremmen' and the 'Remembering Kenny Everett - Audio Portrait' on CD.


7" vinyl of the Kenny Everett/Mike Vickers theme to 'Kremmen The Movie'
Various publications from the 70s and early 80s including a nonsensical autobiography. Also included is a 1997 biography by David Lister and the Captain Kremmen Viewmaster Reels!


Probably my prized Everett-related item, a character test cel from the Cosgrove/Hall Kremmen series.

This was an outwardly naive spirit for a more naive time (as I saw it at least).
Tapping into that time and spirit, particularly during times of stress or uncertainty, is like an emotional security blanket. The wit is not sophisticated, but it tickles a deep part of my sense of humour where I feel that everything will be alright.

The last time I saw 'contemporary' footage of Kenny was on TV, I think about 1993, maybe 1994. Myself and my partner Sally were watching the Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras broadcast on TV. Without announcement we saw Kenny bounce and dance by on one of the floats. He had been out for a number of years by then and seems he was joining in on the festivities. There was no announcement that it was him…I suspect it was unscheduled and the announcers just didn't recognise him or notice him in the throng of activities. But both of us being fans both believe we spotted him.

So here's to Mr Cole, his creation that was Kenny Everett and all those characters that emerged from his delightful head. May he make you laugh.

 


No comments: